Molecular differentiation of Thysaniezia (Helictometra) giardi and Moniezia species based on 18s rRNA gene in small ruminants
AbstractThis study was conducted to investigate Anoplocephalidia Cestoda in sheep and goat and evaluate the 18s rRNA to genetically differentiate the genera of this family. Sixty sample tapeworms were collected from small intestines of 30 sheep and 30 goats from different slaughterhouses in Al-Najaf and Al-Qadisiyah provinces, during September, 2016 to February, 2017. Based on polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and 18s rRNA gene partial sequencing (18sGPS) methods used, tapeworm infection of sheep and goat’s intestines was 32.9% and 31.4%, respectively. The partial gene sequencing of the 18S rRNA gene showed two closely related isolates of M. benedeni which are aligned distinctly to an NCBI isolate of the same species from China. For T. giardia, the outcomes of the phylogenetic analysis unveiled three distinct local isolates which were similar to an NCBI database isolate from China. The current data ensure the importance of the molecular techniques in differentiating between Thysaniezia (Helictometra) giardi and Moniezia species that were identified for their presence in the small intestines of sheep and goats.
1- There are a closely related isolates of M. benedeni which are aligned distinctly to an NCBI isolate of the same species from China.
2- For T. giardia, the outcomes of the phylogenetic analysis unveiled three distinct local isolates which were similar to an NCBI database isolate from China.
3- The current data ensure the importance of the molecular techniques in differentiating between Thysaniezia (Helictometra) giardi and Moniezia species that were identified for their presence in the small intestines of sheep and goats.
1. Ndom M, Diop G, Quilichini Y, Yanagida T, Ba CT, Marchand B. Prevalence and scanning electron microscopic identification of anoplocephalid cestodes among small ruminants in Senegal. J Parasitol Res. 2016;4(1):1-9. Doi: 10.1155/2016/3937292
2. Squire SA, Robertson ID, Yang R, Ayi I, Ryan U. Prevalence and risk factors associated with gastrointestinal parasites in ruminant livestock in the Coastal Savannah zone of Ghana. Acta Trop. 2019;199(1):105-126. Doi: 10.1016/j.actatropica.2019.105126
3. Southworth J, Harvey C, Larson S. Use of praziquantel for the control of Moniezia expansa in lambs. New Zealand Vet J. 1996;44(3):112-115. Doi: 10.1080/00480169.1996.35947
4. Meradi S, Cabaret J, Bentounsi B. Sheep enteric cestodes and their influence on clinical indicators used in targeted selective treatments against gastrointestinal nematodes. Onderstepoort J of Vet Res. 2019;86(1):1-3. Doi:10.4102/ojvr.v86i1.1648
5. Squire SA, Yang R, Robertson I, Ayi I, Squire DS, Ryan U. Gastrointestinal helminths in farmers and their ruminant livestock from the Coastal Savannah zone of Ghana. Parasitol Res. 2018;117(10):3183-3194. Doi: 10.1007/s00436-018-6017-1
6. Saitou N, Nei M. The neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Mol Biol Evol. 1987;4(4):406-425. Doi: 10.1093/oxfordjournals.molbev.a040454
7. Tamura K, Stecher G, Peterson D, Filipski A, Kumar S. MEGA6: Molecular evolutionary genetics analysis version 6.0. Mol Biol Evol. 2013;30(12):2725-2729. Doi: 10.1093/molbev/mst197
8. Roeber F, Jex AR, Gasser RB. Impact of gastrointestinal parasitic nematodes of sheep, and the role of advanced molecular tools for exploring epidemiology and drug resistance: An Australian perspective. Parasit Vectors. 2013;6(2):153. Doi: 10.1186/1756-3305-6-153
9. Demeler J, Gill JH, Von SG, Sangster NC. The in vitro assay profile of macrocyclic lactone resistance in three species of sheep trichostrongyloids. Int J Parasitol Drugs Resist. 2013;3:109-118. Doi: 10.1016/j.ijpddr.2013.04.002
10. Cringoli G, Rinaldi L, Maurelli MP, Utzinger J. Flotac: new multivalent techniques for qualitative and quantitative copromicroscopic diagnosis of parasites in animals and humans. Nat Protoc. 2010;5(3):503-515. Doi: 10.1038/nprot.2009.235
11. Cringoli G, Rinaldi L, Veneziano V, Capelli G, Scala A. The influence of flotation solution, sample dilution and the choice of McMaster slide area (volume) on the reliability of the McMaster technique in estimating the faecal egg counts of gastrointestinal strongyles and Dicrocoelium dendriticum in sheep. Vet Parasitol. 2004;123(1-2):121-131. Doi: 10.1016/j.vetpar.2004.05.021
12. Diop G, Yanagida T, Hailemariam Z, Menkir S, Nakao M, Sako Y, Ba TC, Ito A. Genetic characterization of Moniezia species in Senegal and Ethiopia. Parasitol Int. 2015;64(5):256-260. Doi: 10.1016/j.parint.2015.02.008
13. District MS, Ambedkar B. Morphological and molecular studies of Moniezia Sp. (Cestoda Anaplocephalidea) a parasite of the domestic goat Capra hircus (L.) in Aurangabad district. Zool. 2015;5(8):10-14. Doi: 10.36106/ijar
14. Ndom M, Yanagida T, Diop G, Quilichini Y, Ba A, Sako Y, Nakao M, Marchand B, Dieye A, Ba TC, Ito A. Genetic and morphological characterization of Thysaniezia tapeworms from cattle and sheep in Senegal. Vet Parasitol Reg Stud Reports. 2018;11:27-31. Doi: 10.1016/j.vprsr.2017.11.008
15. Budischak SA, Hoberg EP, Abrams A, Jolles AE, Ezenwa VO. A combined parasitological molecular approach for noninvasive characterization of parasitic nematode communities in wild hosts. Mol Ecol Resour. 2015;15(5):1112-1119. Doi: 10.1111/1755-0998.12382
16. Abdulla RG, Mageed SN, Obed CE, Jumaa JA. Molecular characterization of fertile hydatid cysts from the liver of the sheep and cows and associated environmental influence factors. Iraqi J of Vet Sci. 2020; 34(2):321-327. Doi: 10.33899/ijvs.2019.126036.1213
17. Jarad NI. Molecular detection of Cryptosporidium parvum in chicken in Al-Diwaniya province. Iraqi J of Vet Sci. 2020;34(2):441-445. Doi: 10.33899/ijvs.2019.126159.1249
- Article View: 8
- PDF Download: 0