Effect of steroid-free follicular fluid antiserum on reproductive endocrine profile at estrous and metestrus phases in female rats
Iraqi Journal of Veterinary Sciences,
2020, Volume 34, Issue 2, Pages 273-278
AbstractInhibins are important ovarian hormones that control the action of the pituitary gonadotropins which regulate the ovarian cycle. The present experiment aims to study the role of steroid-free follicular fluid-antibodies (S-FBFF-ab) on the reproductive hormone levels at estrus and metestrus phases in cycling female rats. Follicular fluid was collected from mature ovarian follicles, centrifuged and treatment with activated charcoal. S-FBFF was isolated and used for immunization of adult male rabbits. After 5 injections, blood was withdrawn for separation of S-FBFF-ab. Eighty mature female rats were assigned into control and treatment groups (40 each). At late metestrus phase, females of the control were injected intra-peritoneally with 100 μL of physiological saline, whereas treated females were injected intra-peritoneally with 100 μL of S-FBFF-ab. At early estrus and early metestrus phases of each estrous cycle, serum concentrations of inhibin-B, follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), estradiol (E2), and prolactin (PRL) were estimated. The results revealed that S-FBFF-ab has inhibin immuno-neutralization effect, which caused elevation in the concentrations of serum FSH and E2, and significant decline of serum PRL and inhibin-B, at early estrus, whereas significant elevation of E2 and PRL, and significant decline of serum FSH, at early metestrus. Furthermore, the results of gene expression revealed a significant elevation of ovarian aromatase gene at both early estrus and early metestrus phases, whereas pituitary PRL gene showed significant decline at early estrus phase and significant elevation at early metestrus phase. In conclusion, passive immunization against S-FBFF could augment the reproductive efficiency through increase reproductive endocrine activity.
Injection of S-FBFF antisum induces the ovarian growth and developmet through increasing ovarian folliculogenesis.
- Esbenshade KL, Vogel MJ, Traywick GB. Clearance rate of luteinizing hormone and follicle stimulating hormone from peripheral circulation in the pig. J Anim Sci. 1986;62(6):1649-1653. 10.2527/jas1986.6261649x
- Ozell TG, Okrainetz RJ. FSH: one hormone with multipule forms, or a family of multiple hormones. In: Chedrese ED (editor). Reproductive endocrinology: A molecular approach. Saskatoon: Springer Science and Business Media; 2009. 144-160 p. 10.1007/978-0-387-88186-7_14
- Zhang C, Guo L, Zhu B, Feng Y, Yu S, An N, Wang X. Effects of 3,5,30-Triiodothyronine (T3) and follicle stimulating hormone on apoptosis and proliferation of rat ovarian granulosa cells. Chin J Physiol. 2013;56(5):298-305. 10.4077/cjp.2013.bab186
- Ishigame H, Medan MS, Wang H, Watanabe G, Kishi H, Arai KY. Induction of superovulation by immunoneutralization of endogenous inhibin in immature rats. J Reprod Dev. 2005;51:559-66. 10.1262/jrd.17020
- Takeo T, Nakagata N. Superovulation using the combined administration of inhibin antiserum and equine/chorionic gonadotropin increases the number of ovulated Oocyttes in C57BL/6 female mice. PLOS ONE. 2015;10(5):1-11. 10.1371/journal.pone.0128330
- Al-Sa’aidi JA, Majhwol EM. Effect of immunization against steroid-free bovine follicular fluid on reproductive hormones profile in cycling female rats. Asian J Anim Sci. 2017;11:183-188. 10.3923/ajas.2017.183.188
- Al-Sa’aidi JA, Majhwol EM. Pituitary FSHβ and GH and ovarian GH-r, IGF-1 and IGF-2 gene expression levels in cycling female rats immunized against steroid-free bovine follicular fluid antisera. Asian J Applied Sci. 2017;5(4):770-775. https://www.ajouronline.com/index.php/AJAS/article/view/4930
- Al-Khozai EM. Effect of steroid free bovine follicular fluid treated with anti-inhibin on ovarian folliculogenesis in mature female rats [PhD dissertation]. Al-Qadisiyah: College of Education, University of Al-Qadisiyah, Iraq; 2017. 146 p.
- Kafaji SS, Al-Sa’aidi JA, Khudair KK. Reproductive hormones profile of Iraqi Awassi ewes immunized against synthetic inhibin-α subunit or steroid-free bovine follicular fluid. Iraqi J Vet Sci. 2017;31(2):123-128. 10.33899/ijvs.2017.145609
- Al-Sa’aidi JA, Khudai KK, Khafaji SS. Reproductive fecundity of Iraqi Awassi ewes immunized against synthetic inhibin-α subunit or steroid-free bovine follicular fluid. Asian-Australisian J Anim Sci. 2018;31(8):1169-1175. 10.5713/ajas.17.0660.
- Al-Sa’aidi JA, Baqir SM. Effect of passive immunization against inhibin-a subunit and non-steroid bovine follicular fluid (NSBFF) on mammary gland growth and development in primiparous female Wistar rats. Reprod Dom Anim. 2012;47(4):416-613. 10.1111/j.1439-0531.2012.02119.x
- Al-Sa’aidi JA, Al-Jayashi GS. Adenohypophyseal immunohistochemical expression levels of FSHβ in cyclic virgin female rats treated with steroid free bovine follicular fluid antiserum. Int Interdicip Res J. 2016;6:18-31. 10.29079/vol17iss2art502
- Al-Sa’aidi JA, AL-Okaily BN, AL-Shwilly HA. Uterine implantations and litter size alternation in anti- inhibin and eCG-hCG treated virgin pregnant female rats. Online Int Interdicip Res J. 2016;6(1):36-46. 10.29350/jops.2018.23.2.732
- Irving-Rodgers HF, Hummitzsch K, Murdiyarso LS, Bonner WM, Sad Y, Ninomiya Y, Couchman JR, Sorokin LM, Rodgers RJ. Dynamics of extracellular matrix in ovarian follicles and corpora lutea of mice. Cell Tissue Res. 2010;339(3):613-24. 10.1007/s00441-009-0905-8
- Stocco C. Aromatase expression in the ovary: Hormonal and molecular regulation. Steroids. 2008;73(5):473-487. 10.1093/med/9780199235292.003.1024.
- Marcondes FK, Bianchi FJ, Tanno AP. Determination of the estrous cycle phases of rats: Some helpful considerations. Braz J Biol. 2002;62(4): 609-614. 10.1590/S1519-69842002000400008
- Wang G, Hardy MP. Development of Leydig cells in the insulin- like growth factor-I (igf-I) knockout mouse: effects of igf-I replacement and gonadotropic stimulation. Biol Reprod. 2004;70:632-639. 10.1095/biolreprod.103.022590
- Schefler WC. Statistics for biological sciences. 2nd ed. USA: Addison-Wesley Publushing; 2000. 230 pز
- Luisi S, Florio P, Reis FM, Petraglia F. Inhibins in female and male reproductive physiology: role in gametogenesis, conception, implantation and early pregnancy. Human Reprod. 2005;11:123-135. 10.1093/humupd/dmh057
- Al-Sa'aidi JA, ad Thanoon HB. Hypothalamic GHRH and pituitary GH gene expression levels in neonatal inibin immunoneutralized female rats. Aspire. The 5th Congress of the Asia Pacific Initiative on Reproduction; 2014, Brisbane, Australia.
- Miyazono K, Kamiya Y, Morikawa M. Bone morphogenetic protein receptors and signal transduction. J Biochem. 2010;147:35-51. 10.1093/jb/mvp148
- Lewis KA, Gray PC, Blount AL, MacConnel LA, Wiater E, Bilezikjian LM, Vale W. Bataglycan binds inhibin and can mediate functional antagonism of activin signaling. Nature. 2000;404:411-414. 10.1038/35006129
- Wiater E, Lewis KA, Donaldson C, Vaughan J, Bilezikjian L, Vale W. Endogenous betaglycan is essential for high-potency inhibin antagonism in gonadotropes. Mol Endocrinol. 2009;23:1033-1042. 10.1210/me.2009-0021
- Escalona RM, Stenvers KL, Farnworth PG, Findlay JK, Ooi GT. Reducing betaglycan expression by RNA interference (RNAi) attenuates inhibin bioactivity in LβT2 gonadotropes. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2009;307:149-156. 10.1016/j.mce.2009.03.021
- Groppe J, Hinck CS, Samavarchi TP. Cooperative assembly of TGF-β superfamily signaling complexes is mediated by two disparate mechanisms and distinct modes of receptor binding. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;29:157-168. 10.1016/2007.11.039
- Makanji Y, Temple PD, Walton KL, Harrison CA, Robertson DM. Inhibin B is a more potent suppressor of rat follicle-stimulating hormone release than inhibin A in vitro and in vivo. Endocrinol. 2009;150:4784-4793. 10.1210/en.2008-1783
- Al-Sa’aidi JA, Samir MS. Effect of passive immunization against inhibin alpha subunit on ovarian growth and development in immature female Wister rats. 14th Scientific Congress of Faculty of Medicine; 2010, Assiut, Egypt.
- Al-Sa’aidi JA, Al-Asadi SH. Quantification of mammary Gh-r gene and GH expression in pregnant, delivered and lactating Wister female rats passively immunized at pregnancy against inhibin-α, βa, or βb subunits. Int J Biol Pharm Allied Sci. 2016;5(9):2070-2083. https://ijbpas.com/pdf/2016/September/1472702680MS
- Al-Sa’aidi JA, Al-Okaily BN, Al-shwilly HA. Comparative effect of anti-inhibin and eCG-hCG supplementation on reproductive hormonal profile in virgin cycling female rats. Al-Qadisiyah J Pure Sci. 2018;23(2):1-8. 10.29350/jops.2018.23.2.732
- Al-Sa’aidi JA, Al-Jayashi GS, Khafaji SS. Ovarian immunohistochemical expression of estradiol 17β in cyclic female rats treated with steroid free bovine follicular fluid antiserum. Al-Qadisiyah J Vet Med Sci. 2018;35-42. 10.29079/vol17iss2art502
- Al-Shwielly HA. Effect of passive immunoneutralization against endogenous inhibin on reproductive fecundity in virgin female rats and its application in Iraqi awassi ewe lambs [PhD dissertation]. Baghdad: Collage of Veterinary Medicine, University of Baghdad, Iraq; 2016. 93 p.
- Al-Sa’aidi JA, Al-Kalby JM, Al-Saeedi MJ. Effect of passive immunization against inhibin-A, -BA and -BB subunits on serum growth and differentiation hormones profile in pregnant and lactating primiparous Wister rats. Basrah J Vet Res. 2015;14(1):79-96. 10.33762/bvetr.2015.99877
- Kandiel MM, Watanabe G, Sosa JA, Abou El-Roos ME, Abdel-Ghaffar AE, Li JY, Manabe N, El Azab AI, Taya K. Profiles of circulating steroids hormones, gonadtropins, immunoreactive inhibin and prolactin during pregnancy in goats and immunolocalization of inhibin subunits, steroidogenic enzymes and prolactin in the corpus luteum and placenta. J Reprod Develop. 2010;56(2):243-250. 10.1262/jrd.09-159s
- Grachev P, LI XF, Goffin V, O’Byrne T. Hypothalamic prolactin regulation of luteinizing hormone secretion in the female rat. Endocrinol Soc. 2010;10:13-34. 10.1210/en.2015-1040
- Robinson GW, Hennighausen L. Inhibins and activins regulate mammary epithelial cell differentiation through mesenchymal-epithelial interactions. Development. 1997;124:2701-2708. PMID: 9226441.
- Article View: 294
- PDF Download: 527