The effect of nicotine per inhalation on the diameter and epithelium thickness of the seminiferous tubules of rats
Iraqi Journal of Veterinary Sciences,
2020, Volume 34, Issue 1, Pages 209-215
AbstractThis study aimed to assess the level of testicular damage by observing the changes in the diameter and epithelium thickness of seminiferous tubules in rats that exposure to nicotine per inhalation. Thirty adult male rats were used and divided into five equal groups and treatment as follows for 20 days; Control group NaCl 0.9%, P1 nicotine 0.5 mg/kg, P2 nicotine 1.0 mg/kg, P3 nicotine 2.0 mg/kg and P4 nicotine 4.0 mg/kg. All groups were given treatment per inhalation for twenty days. At the end of treatment and the rats were sacrificed testes were collected for histopathological preparation. The testes were processed for routine paraffin embedding and staining and the sections were examined for histopathological changes. There results showed that nicotine administration induced varying degrees of structural damage to the seminiferous tubules, as the decreased in diamater and epithelium thickness of seminiferous tubules. The diameter and epithelium thickness of seminiferous tubules in four experimental groups reduced compared to the control group. This study proves that nicotine administration does decreases the spermatogenesis of rats by reducing the diameter and epithelium thickness of seminiferous tubules in testes. It also proves that the level of testicular damage is directly proportional to the dosage of nicotine administrated to male rats.
- Zenzes MT, Reed TE , Casper RF. Effects of cigarette smoking and age on the maturation of human oocytes. J Hum Reprod. 2000;12(8):1736-41. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/humrep/12.8.1736
- Drummond MB, Upson D. Electronic cigarettes potential harms and benefits. Annals ATS. 2014; 11(2): 236-242. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1513/AnnalsATS.201311-391FR
- Morean ME, Kong G, Camenga DR, Cavallo DA, Krishnan SS. High school students' use of electronic cigarettes to vaporize cannabis. J Pediat Ohio. 2015;136(4):611-6. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2015-1727
- Burstyn I. Peering through the mist: Systematic review of the chemistry of contaminants in electronic cigarettes tells us about health risks. BMC Public Heal. 2014;14(1):1-8. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-14-18.
- Mishra A, Chaturvedi P, Datta S, Sinukumar S, Joshi P, Garg A. Harmful effects of nicotine: Review Article. Indian J Med Paediat Oncol. 2015;36(1):24-31. doi: 10.4103/0971-5851.151771
- John AA, Rajat SB. The pathophysiology of cigarette smoking and cardiovascular disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004;43(10):1731-1737. DOI: 10.1016/j.jacc.2003.12.047
- Al Mutairi SS, Shihab-Eldeen AA, Mojiminiyi OA, Anwar AA. Comparative analysis of the effects of hubble-bubble (Sheesha) and cigarette smoking on respiratory and metabolic parameters in hubble-bubble and cigarette smokers. Respirol. 2006;11(4):449-55. DOI: 10.1111/j.1440-1843.2006.00873.x
- Vine MF. Smoking and male reproduction: A Review. Int J Androl. 1996;19(6):323-37. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2605.1996.tb00523.x.
- Ramlau HCH, Thulstrup AM, Olsen J, Bonde JP. Parental subfecundity and risk of decreased semen quality in the male fffspring: A follow-up study. Am J Epidemiol. 2008;167(12):1458-64. DOI:10.1093/aje/kwn076
- Mahanem MA, Nor-Asmaniza, Phang HT. Effects of nicotine and co-administration of nicotine and vitamin E on testis and sperm quality of adult rats. Malays Appl Biol. 2006;35(2):47-52.
- Aina N. Effect of exposure to cigarette smoke on spermatogenesis and quality of spermatozoa of mice. Makara Kesehatan. 2005; 12:1-10.
- Oyeyipo IP, Raji Y, Bolarinwa AF. Nicotine alters male reproductive hormones in male albino rats: The role of cessation. J Hum Reprod Sci. 2013;6(1):40-4. doi: 10.4103/0974-1208.112380
- Adrien JAU, Kusumorini N, Agungpriyono S, Satyaningtijas AS, Boediono A. Changes in spermatozoa quality and number of spermatogenic cells in rats exposed to cigarette smoke. J Kedokteran Hewan. 2014;8(2):116-119.
- Kusriningrum A. Basic Design of Trial and Complete Random Design. Faculty of Veterinary Medicine. 1st ed. Surabaya. Universitas Airlangga; 2010. 53-92 p.
- Anita N. Changes in the distribution of the seminal epithelial level, reduction in the number of spermatogenic cells and total testosterone hormone levels in mice (Mus musculus L) DDY strains that are smoked with clove cigarettes. [Tesis]. Graduate program Faculty of Medicine Universitas Indonesia. 2004.
- Guyton AC. 1997. Medical Physiology. Jakarta: Medical Book Publisher. EGC.
- Ramaswamy S, Weinbauer GF. Endocrine control of spermatogenesis: Role of FSH and LH/ testosterone. Spermatogen. 2014;4(2):996025.
- Holdcraft RW, Braun RE. Hormonal regulation of spermatogenesis. Int J Androl. 2004;27:335-342 . doi: 10.1080/21565562.2014.996025
- Güven MC, Can B, Ergün A, Saran Y, Aydos K. Ultrastructural effects of cigarette smoke on rat testis. Eur Urol. 1999;36(6):645-9. DOI: 10.1159/000020061
- Gulkesen KH, Tibet E, Canan FS, Gulten K. Expression of extracellular matrix proteins and vimentin in test of azoospermic man: An immunohistochemical and morphometric study. Asian J Androl. 2002;4(1):55-60.
- Hayati A. Spermatology. 1st ed. Surabaya: Airlangga University Press; 2011. 105 p.
- Ramandey I. Effect of Peroral Cadmium Giving on Testicular Weight, Seminiferus Tubule Diameter, Lumen Diameter of Seminiferus Tubules, and Epithelium of White Rat (Rattus norvegicus strain wistar) Epithelium. [Thesis]. Graduate program Universitas Airlangga Surabaya. 2005.
- Article View: 266
- PDF Download: 379