Prevalence, morphological and biochemical study of larval stage Coenurus cerebralis of Taenia multiceps in sheep
Iraqi Journal of Veterinary Sciences,
Volume 34, Issue 1, Pages 159-163
AbstractThis study aimed to estimate the prevalence of Coenurus cerebralis of Tenia multiceps in sheep of Nineveh governorate. One handed and thirty-six sheep heads were examined for the presence of coenurus cysts 31 (22.8%) were infected. The younger were more affected than the adults. There were no significant differences between the number of infected males and females. The clinical signs varied from one animal to another which consisted of neurological disorders manifested by depression, bending of the head to one side, walking in a circular movement and paralysis in the hind limbs, while some animals did not give the clinical symptoms despite the existence of cyst. The number of cysts were ranged from 1 to 4 cysts/animal. The size of these cyst was ranged from 0.5 to 4 cm, and the volume of fluid in these cysts were ranged from 1 to 6 ml while the number of protoscolices in the cyst were ranged from 60 - 360 protoscolex, the mean length of large and small hooks was 179.95 µm respectively. The study also considered the identification of some chemical constituents of fluid of coenurus cyst such as glucose, total protein, cholesterol, triglycerides, calcium, sodium, potassium, urea and pH.
- Abera S, Wubit T, Nejash A. Cerebral Coenurosis in small ruminants: A reviews. J Anim Sci Adv. 2016;6(3):1595-1608. DOI: 10.5455/jasa.20160409121545
- Oryan A, Bari M, Moazeni M, Amrabadi OR. Review paper cerebral and non Cerebral coenurosis in small ruminants. Trop Bio Med. 2014;31(1):1-16.
- Miran MB, Nzalawahe J, Kassuku AA, Swai ES. Prevalence of Coenurosis in sheep and goats at three slaughter slabs in Ngorongoro district Tanzania. Trop Anime Health Prod. 2015;47(8):1591-1597. doi: 10.1007/s11250-015-0903-7.
- Adane P, Kumsa B, Hiko A, Afera B. Prevalence of Coenurus cerebralis in small ruminants slaughtered at Hashim export abattoirs Debre Zeit Gentrat Oramia. Eur Appl Sci. 2015;7(2):56-63. DOI: 10.5829/idosi.ejas.
- Abdullah MA. Pathological study of giddiness (Coenurosis) in sheep in Nineveh governorate [MSc thesis]. Mosul: University of Mosul, Iraq; 2004. 37-43 p.
- Mengistu, Fayyisa D, Belina D, Eshetu A. Prevalence of Coenurus cerebralis and its economic loss in small ruminants slaughtered at Bishoftu Elfora export abattoir Ethiopia. Eur J Biol Sci. 2017;9(2):101-105. DOI: 10.5829/idosi.ejbs.
- Oge H, Oge S, Gonenc B, Ozbakis G, Asti C. Coenurosis in the lumbar region of a goat: A case report. Vet Med. 2012;57(6):308-13
- Yahya M.Variations in the viability and macromolecules concentration of E. granulosus protoscolices isolated from ruminants consequence treatment with nigella sativa seeds oil (in vitro study).Iraqi Journal of Veterinary Sciences.2019;33(2):227-234). DOI 10.33899/ijvs.2019.162880
- Oryan A, Nazifi S, sharifiyazdi H, Ahmadnia S. Pathological Molecular and biochemical characterization of Coenurus gaigeri in Iranian native goats. J Parasitol. 2010;96:961- 967. doi: 10.1645/GE-2399.
- Alemy S, Kemal J, muktar Y, Terefe G. Immunological and molecular diagnostic tests for cestodes and metacestodes: Review. World Appl Sci J. 2015;33(12):1867-1879. DOI: 10.5829/idosi.
- Uslu U, Guctu F. Prevalence of Coenurus cerebralis in sheep in Turkey. Vet Med. 2007;63(6):678-680.
- Alani N, Belli S. The prevalence of larval stage Coenurus cerebralis of the adult tape worm Taenia multiceps in sheep and goat. Al-Anbar J Vet Sci. 2010;3(1):100-104.
- Achenet M, Markos T, feseha G, Hibret A, Tembely S. Coenurus cerebralis infection in Ethiopian highland sheep on pathogenesis and clinical signs. Trap Anim Health Prod. 1999;31:15-24 .DOI: 10.1023/a:1005125316275.
- Desanky EA, Badawy AI, Refaat RA. Survey on Coenurosis in sheep and goats in Egypt. Vet Italian. 2011;47(3);333-340.
- Kish Gf, khodakaram A, Hagimohammadi A, Ahmadi N. Clinical and morphopathological characteristics of an enzootic occurrence of acute coenurosi (Coenurus cerebralis) in a sheep herd. J Parasit Dis. 2015;39(2):280-283. doi: 10.1007/s12639-013-0344-z
- Tavassoli M, Malekifard F, soleimanzadeh A, Tajik H. Prevalence of Coenurus cerebralis in sheep in north west of Iran. Vet Res Forum. 2011;2(4):274-276.
- Gicik Y, Kara M, Arslan M. Prevalence of Coenurus cerebralis in sheep in Kars province, Turkey. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy. 2007;51:379-382.
- Qassim I, Mohamed A, Babiker I, Salih M. Clinical coenurosis (Coenurus cerebralis) in Harri sheep in mecca region of Saudi Arabia: case report. J Vet Med Res. 2017;4(10):1111.
- Soulsby EJL. Helminths, arthropods, protozoa of domesticated animals. 7th ed. London: Baillier; 1986. 430-431 p.
- Oryan A, Moazeni M, Amrabadi O, Akbari M, Shari H. Comparison of distribution pattern, pathogenesis and molecular characteristics of larval stages of Taenia multiceps in sheep and goats.Small.Rumint.Res.2015;132:44-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
- Amer S, Elkhatam A, Fukuda Y, Bakr L, Zidan S, Elsify A. Clinical pathological and molecular data concerning Coenurus cerebralis in sheep in Egypt. Data Brief. 2017;16:1-9. doi: 10.1016/j.dib.2017.10.070.
- Thompson D, Jeary T. Helminth surface structural molecular and functional properties in molecular medical parasitology. London: Academic Press; 2003. 297-338 p.
- Afonso SM, Mukavatirwa S. Hajovska K, Capece BP, Gristofol C, Arboix M, Neves L. Prevalence and morphological characteristics of Taenia multiceps cysts Coenurus cerebralis from Abattoir slaughtered and experimentally infected goats. Neuroparasilot. 2011;2:1-5.
- Mohammed A,Kadir M.Estimation of some biochemical parameters and trace elements in sheep infested with taenia hydatigena cyst in sulaymaniyah province \Iraq. Iraqi Journal of Veterinary Sciences.2020;34(1):39-44. DOI: 10.33899/ijvs.2019.125543.1065.
- Article View: 45
- PDF Download: 47