Pathological study of some esophageal lesions of slaughtered sheep in Mosul abattoir
Iraqi Journal of Veterinary Sciences,
2020, Volume 34, Issue 1, Pages 145-151
AbstractThis study includes collection of 120 samples of sheep esophagus from slaughtered sheep in Mosul abattoir from December 2013 to March 2014 for detection of lesions and their incidence. Total 85 esophagus samples showed lesions from the total collected samples. The revealed lesions included disturbance of cell metabolism manifested by coagulative necrosis, sloughing of epithelial lining the esophagus and vacuolar degeneration at incidence rate 67.7, 23.5 and 17.6% respectively, circulatory disturbances like petechial, diffuse hemorrhage and edema were noticed at incidence rate 7.05, 4.7 and 3.5% respectively. Also results showed epithelial hyperplasia, fibroplasia and hyperkeratosis at 47, 24.7 and 31.7% of the total collected samples respectively, whereas eosinophilic inflammation of esophagus appeared at 3.5% of collected samples. Jaundice represent the disturbance in pigmentation reported at ratio of 16.4%, also additionally there was parasitic infestation represented by sarcocystosis and worm infestation which impeded in muscularis layer of esophagus at percentage ratio 50.5% and 3.5% respectively and a single case of esophageal diverticulosis was recorded at percentage ratio of 1.17%. Section that stained which Masson trichrome stain showed fibroplasia with proliferation of fibroblasts that take a bluish green color between muscle fibers.
- Yasser YA, Atia AH, Salah A. Topographical anatomy of sheep. 1st ed. Mosul: Dar Al-hikma; 1990. 188 p.
- McGavin MD, Zachary JF. Pathologic basis of veterinary disease. 4th ed. China: Mosby Elsevier; 2007. 408-412 p.
- Eroschenko VP. Atlas of histology with functional correlations. 8th ed. Canada: Mosby Elsevier; 1996. 171-182 p.
- Al-Mallah K. Comparative pathological study of esophageal lesions in sheep and cattle slaughtered at Mosul slaughter house. Iraqi J Vet Sci. 2009;23(suppl 2):313-323. https://doi.org/10.33899/ijvs.2009.5692
- Nascimento EM, Campos EM, Maia LA, Medeiros RT, De Alcantara MB, Vilar SD, Riet IF. Mega esophagus in sheep and goat. Ciencia Rural. 2016;46(8):1450-1455. https://doi.org/10.1590/0103-8478cr20151414
- Varcasia A, Antonio S, Hiroshisato AA. First record of Gongylonema nepalensis in domestic and wild ruminants in Europe. Vet Parasitol. 2017;246:11-18. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28969772
- Tourchi M. Multiple effects of braken fern under in vivo and in vitro conditions. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2014;15(18):7505-7513. https://doi.org/10.7314/apjcp.2014.15.18.7505
- Al-Haaik AG. A gross anatomical and histological study of pancreas in adult Kestre. Iraqi J Vet Med. 2019;33(2):175-180. https://doi.org/10.33899/ijvs.2019.162960
- Luna LG. Manual of histological staining methods of the armed forces institute of pathology. 3rd ed. New York: McGraw - Hill Book Company; 1968. 32-39,94-95 p.
- Anil A. Forensic medicine and toxicology for homeopathy. 1st ed. New Delhi: Avichal publishing company; 2016. 228 p.
- Mahmood AF, Arif MF, Sadq SM, Alhoby AA, Abdurahman SA. Effect of different levels of selenium on the carcass characteristics of karadi lambs. Iraqi J Vet Sci. 2018;32(1):41-48. 10.33899/ijvs.2018.153792
- Fryer MJ. Rationale for clinical trials of selenium as an antioxidant for the treatment of the cardiomyopathy of Fried Reich's ataxia. Med Hypotheses. 2002;58(2):127-32. https://doi.org/10.1054/mehy.2001.1474
- Li JP, Tobias V, Day AS, Leach S, Lemberg DA. Esophageal sub epithelial fibrosis and hyalinization are features of eosinophilic esophagitis. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2011;52(2):147-53. https://doi.org/10.1097/mpg.0b013e3181ef37a1
- Eslami A, Ashrefihelan J, Vahedi A. Study in the prevalence of pathology of Gongylonema pulchrum (Gullet worm) of sheep from Iran. Global Vet. 2010;5(1):45-48.
- Varcasia A, Antania S, Hisroshisato A. First record of Gongylinema nepalensis in domestic and wild ruminants in Europe. Vet Parasitol. 2017;246:11-18. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28969772
- Aceves SS, Ackerman SJ. Relationships between eosinophilic inflammation, tissue remodeling and fibrosis in eosinophilic esophagitis. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am. 2009;29(1):197-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iac.2008.10.003
- Hansen SL, Ashwell MS, Legleiter LR, Fry RS, Lloyd FJK, Spears JW. The addition of high manganese to a copper-deficient diet further depresses copper status and growth of cattle. British J Nutr. 2009;101:1068-1078. https://doi.org/10.1017/s0007114508057589.
- Abdel-Baki A, Allam G, Sakran TH, El-Malah EL. Lambs Infected with UV-attenuated sporocysts of Sarcocystis ovicanis produced abnormal sarcocysts and induced protective immunity against a challenge infection. Korean J Parasitol. 2009;47(2):131-138. https://doi.org/10.3347/kjp.2009.47.2.131
- Omer SA, Alzuraiq AA, Mohammed OM. Prevalence and molecular detection of Sarcocystis spp. infection in the dromedary camel (Camelus dromedarius) in Riyadh city, Saudi Arabia. Biomed Res. 2017;28(11):4962-4965. https://www.alliedacademies.org/articles/prevalence-and-molecular-detection-of-sarcocystis-spp-infection-in-the-dromedary-camel-camelus-dromedarius-in-riyadh-city-saudi-ar.pdf
- Ahmed AM, Elshraway N, Youssef AI. Survey on Sarcocystis in bovine carcasses slaughtered at the municipal abattoir of El-Kharga, Egypt. Vet World. 2016;9(12):1461-1465. https://doi.org/10.14202/vetworld.2016.1461-1465
- Sykes JB, Dubey JP, Lindsay ll, Prato P, Lappin MR, Guo LT, Mizisin AP, Shelton GD. Sever myositis associated with sarcocystic spp infestation in dogs. J Vet Inter Med. 2011;25:1277-1283. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2011.00828.x
- Dehkordi ZS, Yalameha B, Sari AA. Prevalence of Sarcosystic infestation in processed meat products by using digestion and impression smear methods in Hamadan, Iran. Clin Pathol. 2017;26:1023-1026. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00580-017-2478-3
- Kheirandish R, Radfar MH, Sharifi H, Mohammadyari N, Alidadi S. Prevalence and pathology of Gongylonema pulchrum in cattle slaughtered in Rudsar, northern Iran. Sci Parasitol. 2013;14(1):37-42. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/1f04/6acc3913548fd960bb4d4d9bf3b40f08057e.pdf
- Penadés M, Guerrero I, Benito-Peña A, Corpa JM. Duodena gland cysts and pseudo diverticula in sheep. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2010;22(4):649-51. https://doi.org/10.1177/104063871002200428
- Article View: 301
- PDF Download: 263