Diagnosis of reovirus infection in broiler breeders flocks by using PCR technique in Erbil province
Iraqi Journal of Veterinary Sciences,
2020, Volume 34, Issue 1, Pages 77-81
AbstractAvian reoviruses can infect birds without any clinical signs of infection, the infection may associate with different manifestations including viral arthritis/tenosynovitis and malabsorption syndrome. The objective of this study was to use advance methods representing by molecular methods (RT-PCR, RT-qPCR) in the diagnosis of ARV infection in broiler breeders' flocks. A 4 flocks of broiler breeders (ROSS breed) 39 weeks age with approximately10% morbidity rate due to Avian Reovirus (ARV). The clinical examination of 16 infected birds revealed unilateral lameness and swelling of hock joint. Blood samples were collected from wing vein of infected birds. Sera were tested for antibodies titer against ARV and Mycoplasma synoviae (MS). 5 of 16 positive samples were selected randomly for amplification by RT-PCR and RT-qPCR. The results showed in postmortem examination of infected birds, unilateral arthritis with visible joint lesions. Antibodies titer measured by ELISA in the sera of birds after 4 and 20 weeks of infection with ARV was positive and high. In RT- PCR1 of 5 samples gave positive reaction for amplification while in RT-qPCR all five samples gave positive results for amplification in comparison with +ve and -ve control.
- Day JM. The diversity of the Orthoreoviruses: Molecular taxonomy and phylogenetic divides. Infect Genet Evolut. 2009;9:390-400.doi: 10.1016/j.meegid.2009.01.011.
- Roussan DA, Shaheen IA, Khawaldeh GY, Totanji WS, Al-RifaiR H. Simultaneous detection of astrovirus, rotavirus, reovirus and adenovirus type I in broiler chicken flocks. Polish J Vet Sci. 2012;15:337-344. DOI: 10.2478/v10181-012-0052-0
- Labrin S, Roh H, Zhou H, Corsiglia C, Crossley B, Gallardo R. Attempts towards a better classification of avian reovirus variants. 67th Western Poultry Disease Conference. Salt Lake City: USA; 2018. 76-78.
- Jones RC. Viral Arthritis. In: Saif YM, Fadly AM, Glissen JR, McDougald LR, Nolan LK, Swayne DE, editors. Diseases of poultry. 12th ed. New Jersey: Wiley-Blackwell; 2008. 309-328 p.
- Xie Z, Qin C, Xie L, Liu J, Pang Y, Deng X, Xie Z, Khan M. Recombinant protein-based ELISA for detection and differentiation of antibodies against avian reovirus in vaccinated and non-vaccinated chickens. J Virol Methods. 2010;165:108-111. doi: 10.1016/j.jviromet.2009.12.008
- Rey ME, D’Andrea E, Calvert J, Paximadis M, Boccardo G. Evidence for a phytoreovirus associated with tobacco exhibiting leaf curl symptoms in South Africa. Phytopathol. 1999;89:303-307. doi: 10.1094/PHYTO.1918.104.22.1683.
- Chu W, Qi Z, Jia-dong Z, Jian-shan L, Li-xin Z, Xi-minY, Meng-hou G, Xue-pengC, Guo-zhong Z. Sequence and phylogenetic analysis of chicken reoviruses in China. J Int Agri. 2016;15(8):1846-1855. doi: 10.1016/S2095-3119(15)61200-X.
- Bruhn S, Bruckner L, Ottiger HP. Application of RT-PCR for the detection of avian reovirus contamination in avian viral vaccines. J Virol Meth. 2005;123:179-186. DOI: 10.1016/j.jviromet.2004.09.019
- Jones RC. Reovirus infections. In: Swayne DE, Glisson JR, McDougald LR, editors. Diseases of poultry. USA: CRC Press; 2013. 352-361 p.
- Pu J, Liu X, Guo Y, Cao Y, Zhao J, Zhang G. Seroprevalence of avian reovirus in egg-laying chicken flocks in China. Avi Dis. 2008;52(4):675-679. DOI:10.1637/8300-040108-Reg.1
- Huang L, Xie Z, Xie L, Deng X, Xie H, Luo S, Huang J, Zeng T, Feng J. A duplex real-time PCR assay for the detection and quantification of avian reovirus and Mycoplasma synoviae. Virol J. 2015;12:22:2-9. doi: 10.1186/s12985-015-0255-y.
- Guan MK, Cheng LH, Ke LY, Ji WT, Chulu LC, Liao MH, Chang TJ, Liu HJ. Development of a quantitative light cycler real-time RT-PCR for detection of avian reovirus. J Virol Meth. 2006;133:6-13. DOI:10.1016/j.jviromet.2005.09.011
- Xie Z, Peng Y, Luo S, Wang Y, Liu J, Pang Y. Development of a reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay for visual detection of avian reovirus. Avi Pathol. 2012;41:311-6. doi: 10.1080/03079457.2012.686104.
- Article View: 167
- PDF Download: 137