Epidemiological, diagnostic and therapeutic study for mange in sheep of Anbar province- Iraq
Iraqi Journal of Veterinary Sciences,
2020, Volume 34, Issue 1, Pages 1-7
AbstractThis study was conducted to investigate the prevalence of mange in sheep in Anbar province by examining 462 heads of sheep. The disease was diagnosed by examining the skin scraping taken from the infected animals in the laboratory. The results showed that sheep were infected with Sarcoptes scabiei parasite, and the total infection rate was 34.6%, and no significant difference was recorded between males 34% and females 35.2%, the highest rate was recorded in the month of January %56 and the lowest in the month of August 13.1%, and the highest rate of infection was 49% in sheep at the age of 6 months - 2 years and significant differences for the rest of the ages. Head and neck lesions recorded the highest infection rate of 28.7 and 34.3% respectively. The study also included the effect of the crude watery extract of Onobrychis ptolemaica on the parasite, concentrations of 2.5-10 mg/ml have significantly affected parasites, it was noted the greater the concentration, the greater the effect during the different treatment periods. The highest concentration of 10 mg /ml resulted in the disappearance of all scabies parasites on day 14 of the treatment. Results showed sheep infection in Anbar province with mange in both sexes, high incidence of infection in young ages, high rate of infection in the winter months, and head lesions recorded the highest percentage of infection, the results showed the effect of concentrations of the crude watery extract of Onobrychis ptolemaica plant largely on the parasite.
- Arlian LG, Morgan MS. A review of Sarcoptes scabiei: Past, present and future. Parasites & Vectors. 2017;10 (1):297. DOI:10.1186/s13071-017-2234-1
- Kandi V. Laboratory diagnosis of scabies using a simple saline mount: A clinical microbiologist report. Cureus. 2017;9 (3): e1102. DOI: 10.7759/cureus.e1102
- Bhat SA, Mounsey KE, Liu X, Walton SF. Host immune responses to the itch mite, Sarcoptes scabiei, in humans. Parasites & Vectors. 2017;10 (1): 385. DOI:10.1186/s13071-017-2320-4
- Diwakar RP, Diwakar RK. Canine scabies: A zoonotic ectoparasitic skin disease. Int. J Curr. Microbiol. Appl. Sci. 2017; 6 (4): 1361-1365. DOI: 10.20546/ijcmas.2017.604.165.
- Shittu O, Opeyemi AO, Kadir AR, Ajibaye SO. Prevalence, antigenic recognition and IgG antibody response in pigs infected with Sarcoptes scabiei var. suis in confined pens. Manila J Sci. 2018;11: 11-21.
- Rahbari S, Nabian S, Bahonar AR. Some observations on sheep sarcoptic mange in Tehran province, Iran. Tropical animal Health and Production. 2009;41(3): 397-401. DOI: 10.1007/s11250-008-9203-9
- Amer S, El- Wahab TA, Metwaly AEN, Ye J, Roellig D, Feng Y, Xiao L. Preliminary molecular characterizations of Sarcoptes scaibiei (Acari: Sarcoptidae) from farm animals in Egypt. PLOS One. 2014;9(4):e 94705. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0094705.
- Oludunsin FO, Sadiq Nurudeen Ayinde OET, Olaiya OO, Oladele OP. Sarcoptic mange infestation in West Africa dwarf goat herd in Ibadan, South West Nigeria. World J Agricul Res. 2015;3(1):24-27. DOI: 10.12691/wjar-3-1-6.
- Seid K, Amare S, Tolossa YH. “Mange mites of sheep and goats in selected sites of Eastern Amhara region, Ethiopia.” J. of parasitic Dis. 2016;40(1):132-137. DOI: 10.1007/s12639-014-0463-1.
- Lashari MH, Akhtar MS, Ayaz M, Tasawar Z, Aziz F, Farooq AA, Leghari SK. A Preliminary report on prevalence of mange infestation in Dumbi sheep in and around Fort Munru, Dera Ghazi Khan, Punjab, Pakistan. Wayamba J Anim Sci. 2016;8: 1402-1405. DOI: 10.4081/vsd. 2011.e4.
- Agegnehu A, Bogale B, Tesfaye S, Dagnachew S. Status of mange infestation in indigenous sheep and goats and their control practices in Wag-Himra zone, Ethiopia. J Vet Med Anim Health. 2018;10(5):128-134. DOI: 10.5897/JVMAH.
- Al-Ramahi S. Survey and threapeutic stuyd for sarcopitic infection in sheep in najaf. Tech J. 2008;21(2):225-232.
- Al-Shebani MAA, Dawood KA, Jassem GA. Epidemiological and identification study of mange mites infestation in sheep in Al-Diwaniyah province. Al-Qadisiyah J Vet Med Sci. 2012;11(1) 20-27.
- Al-Ezzy AIA, Jameel GH, Minnat TR, Ahmed AA, Khudhair BT. Clinical, epidemiological and laboratory investigations of Mange infestation in sheep in Khalis city-Diyala province in Iraq. Biotechnol Inter. 2015;8(1):1-10.
- Hasson RH. Ectoparasites of farm animals in Diyala, Iraq. Al-Anbar J Vet. Sci. 2016;9(2):9-18.
- Al-Mayah SH, Hatem AN. Species diversity, prevalence and some ecological aspects of Ectoparasites of buffalo Bubalus bubalis in Basrah Province, Iraq. J of Entom and Zoolo Studies. 2018; 6(2): 390-394.
- Agboke AA. Antimicrobial activity of ethanol extract and fractions of Moringa oleifera lam. root bark on clinical isolates of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Ph. D. Thesis, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Nigeria, Nsukka. 2015;318p.
- ACSAD. Atlas of the Syrian Badia plants, The Arab Center for the Studies of Arid zones and dry lands (ACSAD) Damascus. Syria. 2008; 509 P.
- Tabassam SM, Iqbal Z, Jabbar A, Chattha AI. Efficacy of crude neem seed kernel extracts against natural infestation of Sarcoptes scabiei var. ovis. J Ethnopharmacol. 2008;115(2):284- 287. DOI: 10.1016/j.jep.2007.10.003
- Aboelhadid SM, Mahrous LN, Hashem SA, Abdel-Kafy EM, Miller RJ. In vitro and in vivo effect of Citrus limon essential oil against sarcoptic mange in rabbits. Parasitol Res. 2016;115(8):3013-3020. DOI: 10.1007/s00436-016-5056-8.
- Kebede B, Negese T. Evaluation of acaricidal effect of ethno veteinary medicinal plant by in vivo and in vitro against Sarcoptes scabiei var. caprae of infected goats in north Shoa, Oromia Regional State, Ethiopia. J Tradit Med Clin Natur. 2017; 6(1):246- 254. DOI: 10.4172/2573-4555.1000201
- Cloes EH. Veterinary clinical pathology. 4th ed. Philadelphia: WB Sanders Company; 1986. 488 p.
- Veisi H, Azizi S, Mohammadi P. Green synthesis of the silver nanoparticles mediated by Thymbra spicata extract and its application as a heterogeneous and recyclable nanocatalyst for catalytic reduction of a variety of dyes in water. J Clean Prod. 2018;170: 1536-1543. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.09.265
- Brusotti G, Cesari I, Dentamaro A, Caccialanza G, Massolini G. Isolation and characterization of bioactive compounds from plant resources: the role of analysis in the ethnopharmacological approach. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2014;87: 218-228. DOI: 10.1016/j.jpba.2013.03.007
- SAS. Statistical Analysis system, users guide. statistical version 9th ed. New York: SAS Institute Inc; 2012. 5121 p.
- Zangana IK, Ali BA, Naqid IA. Distribution of ectoparasites infested sheep and goats in Duhok province, north Iraq. Basrah J Vet Res. 2013;12(1):54-64.
- Al- Khardi A, Khudhair I. Diagnostic study of the mange mites infestation in sheep in Al-Najaf province. Kufa J Vet Med Sci. 2013;4(1):134-141.
- Husain HH, Ali MA. Study the prevalence of mange mite (Sarcoptes) on local breed sheep in Diyala Province. Diyala J Pure Sci. 2014;10(3):1-10.
- Radostits OM, Blood DC, Gay CC. Veterinary medicine: A Textbook of the disease of cattle, sheep, pigs, goats and horses. 8th ed. Boilliere Tindall, London. 1997: 1034p.
- Armour J, Duncan JL, Dunn AM. Veterinary parasitology. 2nd ed. Black Well Science Ltd, London; 2003. 252p.
- Article View: 580
- PDF Download: 696