Protective effect of placental mesenchymal stem cells on histological changes of pancreas experimentally induced by alloxane in mice
Iraqi Journal of Veterinary Sciences,
2020, Volume 34, Issue 1, Pages 1-8
AbstractIn an attempt to find a treatment for diabetes by Placental mesenchymal stem cells, we induced diabetes in albino mice by injected them with the diabetic agent Alloxan intra peritoneal cavity dose 70 mg / kg of body weight for the group 1 and 2, then injection of the diabetic mice with Placental mesenchymal stem cells in the peritoneal cavity for the group 2 then the glucose levels in the blood of these mice were measured by using a GLUCOTREND 2, while group 3 was control injected with normal saline only. Pancreas tissue where tested by studying histopathological effect of Alloxan, the endocrine pancreas histologically showed decreased in the size and number of Langerhans islets with vacuolar degeneration and necrosis of almost all cells in the atrophied islets. Also, there was congestion of blood vessels in the interlobular space and there was distortion of exocrine pancreas. There was vacuolar degeneration and necrosis of the epithelial cells of the acini, also there was atrophy of acini which lead to edema and dilatation of interacini space. Moreover, there was thickening in the wall of blood vessels, and there was thrombus in some blood vessels. In addition to the infiltration of inflammatory cells in the interlobular septa. Compared with the section of pancreas of control group showed the normal structure of islets notice the normal cells shape surrounding by exocrine pancreas. Then the pancreas studied after injection of Placental mesenchymal stem cells, while there was regeneration of islets and acini which seem to be normal comparing with control group, there was improvement of normal histological appearance of mice treated with alloxan and then injected with placental mesenchymal stem cells. The results of the diabetic mice which treated with placental mesenchymal stem cells demonstrated present of significant differences (P≤0.05). Our conclusion of this study revealed that placental mesenchymal stem cells have a protective role against the histological changes of pancreas induced by alloxan.
- Pittenger M, Mackay A, Beck S, Jaiswal R., Douglas R., Mosca J, Moorman M, Simonetti D, Craig S, Marshak, D.. Multilineage Potential of Adult Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells. science, 1999; 71(284):143-147. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.284.5411.143
- Rochefort G, Delorme B, Lopez A, Hérault O, Bonnet P, Charbord P, Eder V, Domenech J. Multipotential Mesenchymal Stem Cells Are Mobilized Into Peripheral Blood By Hypoxia, Stem Cells, 2006; 24(10):2202–2208. https://doi.org/10.1634/stemcells.2006-0164.
- Buhring H, Acher W, Hart M, Rolauffs B, Badke A, Klein G. Regeneration of cartilage and bone by defined subsets of mesenchymal stromal cells-potential and pitfall. Cell. 2007; 47 (12):2020-2026. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addr.2010.12.004
- Chamberlain G, Fox J, Ashton B, Middleton J. Mesenchymal stem cells : their phenotype , differentiation capacity , immunological features and potential for homing . Stem cells .2007;25(11):2739-49. https://doi.org/10.1634/stemcells.2007-0197
- Wenny R, Hart C, Corradi-Perini C. A small proportion of mesenchymal stem cells strongly expresses functionally active CXCR4 receptor capable of promoting migration to bone marrow .Blood. 2004;104(9):2643-2645. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2004-02-0526.
- Miki T, Lehmann T, Cai H, Strom S. Isolation Of Multipotent Stem Cells From Placenta. Hepatology 2003;38(4):290. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0270-9139(03)80322-1
- Matikainen T, Laine J. Placenta-an alternative source of stem cells. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol, 2005;207:544-549. https://doi.org/ 10.1016/0378-8741(88)90229-2
- Ajabnor A, Tilmisany A. Effects of Trigonella feonum graceum on blood glucose levels in normal and Alloxan-diabetic mice. J. Ethnopharmacol., 1988; 22: 15-49.
- Ene A, Nwankwo E, Samdi L. Alloxan-Induced Diabetes in Rats and the Effects of Black Caraway (Carum carvi L.) Oil on Their Body Weights. Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology. 2008; 3( 2):141-146. https://doi.org/10.3923/jpt.2008.141.146
- Ezquer F, Ezquer M, Simon V, Pardo F, Yañez A, Carpio D, Conget P. Endovenous administration of bone-marrow-derived multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells prevents renal failure in diabetic mice. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2009; 15(11):1354-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbmt.2009.07.022
- Luna L. Manual of Histological Staining Methods of the Armd Forces Institute of Pathology. New york .3rd 1986; MeGraw-Hill.
- Bancroft J, Stevens A. Theory and Practice of Histological Techniques. chuchill living stone . London 2nd.ed. 1982; 662.
- Gekas C, Rhodes K, and Mikkola H. Isolation and Analysis of Hematopoietic Stem Cells from the Placenta. J. Vis. Exp. 2008; (16), e742, doi:10.3791/742. https://doi.org/10.3791/742
- Rhodes K, Gekas C, Wang Y, Lux C, Francis C, Chan D, Conway S, Orkin S, Yoder M, and Mikkola H. The Emergence of Hematopoietic Stem Cells Is Initiated in the Placental Vasculature in the Absence of Circulation. Cell Stem Cell. 2008; 2:252–263. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.stem.2008.01.001
- Pollard J, Walker J. Basic Cell Culture Protocols.2nd ed. Human Press.1997; Totowa, New Jersey .
- Olovsson M, Nilsson BO. Structural and functional properties of trophoblast cells of mouse egg-cylinders in vitro.Anat Rec. 1993 Jun;236(2):417-24. https://doi.org/10.1002/ar.1092360217
- AL-Badri S D. The effect of aqueous olive leave extract on streptozotocin induced diabetes mellitus in mice .Thesis 1999; AL-Mustansiriya University .
- Phuc P, Truc P, Thuy D, Nhung H, Chung D, Toan N, Phuc M, Ngoc P. Regeneration of Pancreatic B Cells of Type 1 Diabetic Mouse by Stem Cell Transplatation, The Third International Conference on the Development of Biomedical Engineering in Vietnam 2010, pp 163-166. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-12020-6_40
- Chen L, Jiang X, Yang L. Differentiation of rat marrow mesenchymal stem cells into pancreatic islet beta-cells . World J Gastroenterol. 2004; 10(20):3016-3020. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v10.i20.3016.
- Lumelsky N, Blondel O, Laeng P, Velasco I, Ravin R, McKay R. Differentiation of embryonic stem cells to insulin-secret-ing structures similar to pancreatic islets. Science, 2001; 292:1389-1394. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1058866
- Hori Y, Rulifson I, Tsai BC, Heit JJ, Cahoy JD, Kim SK . Growth inhibitors promote differentiation of insulin-produc-ing tissue from embryonic stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2002; 99: 16105-16110. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.252618999
- Pessina A. Pancreas developing markers expressed on human mononucleated umbilical cord blood cells. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications.2004; 323:315-322.
- Williams G, and Pickup C. The Handbook of Diabetes.. 2004; third ed. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2004.08.088
- Rajalakshmi M, Eliza J, Cecilia E, Nirmala A, Daisy F. Anti-diabetic properties of Tinospora cordifolia stem extracts on streptozotocin- induced diabetic rats. African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2009; 3(5). 171-180 .
- Hashemnia M, Oryan A, Hamidi A, Mohammadalipour A. Blood glucose levels and pathology of organs in alloxan-induced diabetic rats treated with hydro-ethanol extracts of Allium sativum and Capparis spinosa. African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 2012; 6(21): 1559-1564. https://doi.org/10.5897/ajpp12.330
- Zachary J, and McGavin M. Pathologic Basis of Veterinary Disease .4th ed. 2007; Mosby Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1463-1326.2007.00718.x
- Maedler K. Beta cells in type 2 diabetes – a crucial contribution to pathogenesis. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism. 2008; 10(5): 408–420.
- Souhami R, and Moxham J. Textbook of medicine. 3rd ed.1997; Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone.
- Article View: 866
- PDF Download: 1,206