Assessment of alterations in some blood biochemical and mineral contents concentration before and during pregnancy period in Iraqi ewes of Salah-edin province
Iraqi Journal of Veterinary Sciences,
2018, Volume 32, Issue 2, Pages 161-165
AbstractThirty local Iraqi ewes reared in Tikrit – Salah-edin province from first the of October-2016 to the first of March-2017 were used in the current study to investigate the influence of pregnancy on levels of some biochemical and minerals contents in the blood serum. Blood samples were collected from ewes before and monthly during pregnancy (first, second, third, fourth and fifth month), serum separated and stored at 5 °C until samples analysis. All samples were analyzed by spectrophotometer with special kits for each parameter. Results demonstrate significant decrease (P ≤0.05) in concentration of total protein, cholesterol and glucose as pregnancy advanced, while there is no effect of pregnancy on the concentration of creatinine and magnesium, however, there is a significant increase (P ≤0.05) in calcium concentration as pregnancy proceed. In conclusion the pregnancy has clear influences on the concentration of total protein, cholesterol, glucose and calcium. The measurements of these parameters give best assessment for nutritional and health status of Iraqi ewes during pregnancy.
- Jacob N, Vadodaria VP. Levels of glucose and cortisol in blood of Patanwadi ewes around parturition. Ind Vet J. 2001;78:890-892.
- Krajnicakova M, Bekeova E, Heindrichovsky V, Maracek I. Concentrations of total lipids, cholesterol and progesterone during oestrus synchronization and pregnancy in sheep. Vet Med. 2003;38:349–357.
- Iriadam M. Variation in certain hematological and biochemical parameters during the peripartum period in Kilis does. Small Rum Res. 2007;73:54–57.
- Sobiech P, Milewski S, Zduńczyk S. Yield and composition of milk and blood biochemical components of ewes nursing a single lamb or twins. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy. 2008;52:591-596.
- ARC. The nutrient requirements of ruminant livestock, commonwealth agricultural al Bureaux, Farnham Royal, Slough. 1980.
- Balikci E, Yildiz A, Gurdogan F. Blood metabolic concentrations during pregnancy and postpartum in Akkaraman ewes. Small Rum Res. 2007;67:247-251.
- Owens JA. Endocrine and substrate control of fetal growth, placental, maternal influences and insulin-like factors. Rep Fertil Dev. 1991;3:501-511.
- Swanson KS, Kuzmuk K N, Schook LB, Fahey GC. Diet affects nutrient digestibility, hematology, and serum chemistry of senior and weanling dogs. J Anim Sci. 2004;82:1713-1724.
- Yokus BD, Cakir Z, Kanay T, Gulten U, Uysal E. Effects of seasonal and physiological variations on the serum chemistry, vitamins and thyroid hormone concentrations in sheep. J Vet Med. 2006;53:271-276.
- Hatfield PG, Head WA, Fitzgerald JA, Hallford DM. Effect of level energy intake and energy demand on growth hormone, insulin, and metabolites in Targhee and Suffolk ewes. J Anim Sci. 1999;77:2757-2765.
- El-Din IMG, El-Sangery FHO. Clinical and biochemical studies of pregnancy toxemia in sheep in Shakira Governorate. Assiut Vet Med J.2005;51;(105):141-151.
- Radostits OM, Gay CC, Blood DC, Hinchcliff KW. Veterinary Medicine. 9th Ed, Harcourt Publishers Ltd., London. 2000;pp:1417-1420.
- Firat A, Ozpinar A. Metabolic profile of pre pregnancy, pregnancy and early lactation in multiple lambing Sakiz ewes. 1. Changes in plasma glucose, 3- hydroxybutyrate and cortisol levels. Ann Nutr Metab. 2002;46(2):57-61.
- Mufti AM. Studies on morphological characters and some metabolic constituents at different stages of development of ovine foetus. M.V.Sc. Thesis, Sher-e-kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology, Shalimar, Srinagar. 1995.
- Nazifi S, Saeb M, Ghavami SM. Serum lipid profile in Iranian fat tailed sheep in late pregnancy, at parturition and during the post-parturition period. J Vet Med Ser A. 2002;49:9–12.
- Piccione G, Caola G, Giannetto C, Grasso F, Runzo SC, Zumbo A. Pennisi P. Selected biochemical serum parameters in ewes during pregnancy, post-parturition, lactation and dry period. Anim Sci Papers Rep. 2009;27(4):321-330.
- Khatun A, Wani GM, Bhat JIA, Choudhury AR, Khan MZ. Biochemical indices in sheep during different stages of pregnancy. Asian J Anim Vet Adv. 2010;6:175-181.
- Kamili A, Bengoumi M, Oukessou M, Faye B, Lefebvre HP. Assessment of glomerular filtration rate in normally hydrated and dehydrated dromedary camel by plasma exogenous creatinine clearance test. Emirates J Food Agric. 2013;25:314-319.
- Patel SS, Molnar, M Z, Tayek JA, Ix JH, Noori N, Benner D, Heymsfield S, Kopple JD, Kovesdy CP, Kalantar-Zadeh K. Serum creatinine as a marker of muscle mass in chronic kidney disease:results of a cross sectional study and review of literature. J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2013;4:19-29.
- Payne AK, Duttagupta R, Maitra DN. Physiological studies on blood of goats. Ind Vet J. 1977;59:597-599.
- Henry JB. Clinical Diagnosis and management 17th ed, Sauder's Publisher. 1984.
- EL-Sherif MMA. Assad F. Changes in some blood constituents of Barki ewes during pregnancy and lactation under semi-arid conditions. Small Rumin Res. 2001;40:269-277.
- Antunovic Z, Sencic D, Speranda M, Liker B. Influence of the season and the reproductive status of ewes on blood parameters. Small Rumin Res. 2002;45:39-44.
- Gürgöze S, Abuzer KZ, Nihat Ö, Hasan I. Investigation of some biochemical parameters and mineral substance during pregnancy and postpartum period in Awassi ewes. Kafkas Univ Vet Fak Derg. 2009;15(6):957-963.
- Vihan VS, Rai P. Certain hematological and biochemical attributes during pregnancy, parturition and post parturient periods in sheep and goats. Ind J Anim Sci.1987;57:1200-1204.
- Kaneko JJ, Harvey JW, Bruss ML. Clinical Biochemistry of Domestic Animals. 6th ed. Elsevier/Academic Press, Amsterdam. 2008.
- Gururaj PM, Veena M, Narayana Swamy MR, Jayashankar PT, Ramesh T, Shridhar NB. Studies on Certain Serum Metabolites in non-Pregnant and Pregnant Bannur Ewes. Theriogen Insight. 2014;4(1):1-7.
- Barakat SEM, AL-Bhanasawi NM, Elazhari GE, Bakhiet AO. Clinical and seromiochemical studies on naturally-occurring pregnancy toxemia in Shamia goats. J Anim Vet Adv. 2007;6:768–772.
- Antunovic Z, Speranda M, Steiner Z. The influence of age and the reproductive status to the blood indicators of the ewes. Arch. Tierzucht Dumm. 2004;47:265-273.
- Bekeova E, Elecko V, Heindrichovsky J, Choma J, Krajnicakova M. The effect of beta-carotene on the changes in T4 and cholesterol concentrations in calving heifers before and after parturition. Vet Med (Praha). 1987;32:459 -468.
- Khatun A, Wani GM, Bhat JIA, Choudhury AR, Khan MZ, Biochemical indices in sheep during different stages of pregnancy. Asian J Anim Vet Adv. 2011;6:175-181.
- Firat A, Özpinar A. The study of changes in some blood parameters (glucose, urea, bilirubin, AST) during and after pregnancy in association with nutritional conditions and litter size in ewes. Tr J Vet Anim Sci. 1996;20:387–393.
- Takarkhede RC, Gondane VC, Kolte AY, Rekhate DH. Indian. Vet J. 1999;76 (3):205-207.
- Seidal H, Novotay J, Kovac C. Selected biochemical indices in sheep during pregnancy and after parturition, Bull Vet Inst Pulway. 2006;50:167-170.
- Moghaddam G, Hassanpour A. Comparison of blood serum glucose, beta hydroxybutyric acid, blood urea nitrogen and calcium concentrations in pregnant and lambed Ewes. J Anim Vet Adv. 2008;7(3):308-311.
- Hafez AEF, Mahfouz MK, Maksoud HAA. Biochemical Changes in Glutathione Redox System and Glucose Regulation in Late Pregnant Ossimi Ewes. J Am Sci. 2010;6(11):742- 748.
- Antunovic Z, Novoselec J, Sauerwein H Speranda M, Vegara M, Pavic V. Blood metabolic profile and some hormones concentration in ewes during different physiological status. Bulgarian J Agri Sci. 2011;17:687-695.
- Waziri MA, Ribadu AY, Sivachelvan N. Changes in the blood serum proteins, hematological and some blood serum biochemical profiles in the pregnancy stage in the Sahel goats. Vet Archiv. 2010;80:215–224.
- Kadzere CT, Llewelyn CA, Chivandi E. Plasma progesterone, calcium, magnesium and zinc concentrations from oestrus synchronization to weaning in indigenous goats in Zimbabwe. Small Rum Res. 1996;24:21-26.
- Georgivskii VI, Annenkov BN, Smomkhin VT. Mineral and Nutritional of animal. London, Bttuer Worths. 1982.
- Fredeen AH. Van Kessel JS. Effect of sudden loss of Ca resorption in mature sheep. Can J Anim Sci. 1990;70:884-887.
- Article View: 874
- PDF Download: 773